Monday 15 March 2010

Costume Capers

On my way back to the Art College I dropped by the Utopia Costumes shop on Perth Road. I'd chatted to Kirsty on the phone a few times and exchanged several emails so it was good to finally meet up in person. Julia was also working that day and we three got to chatting about favourite costumes. When I asked about their favourite outfit both replied in unison 'Marie Antoinette'! Let's take a look then - Julie didn't take much persuading to put it on. The pleated ribbon detail looked really good and the fabric had a pleasing weight to it. Give us a twirl!


When it came to the tools of their trade Kirsty reached for a copy of the make-up artists bible - a 'How-To' on creating convincing wounds caught my eye! It made me think of an art work by Simon Costin (Scar 2) in which he is covered head to foot in fake wounds, cuts and sores of every description you can imagine - It makes for compulsive viewing!


Talking of viewing Julie told me the tool of her trade was her eyes - watching and reading people, assessing peoples body/personality types and pairing the customer with the right outfit. Both mentioned people skills as a crucial tool (Gordon mentioned the same, I remember - key to every Costumer perhaps!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment